Long gone are the times when you think of snowy cold Christmases. People have been trading in their snow pants for bathing suits. White snow scenery is now white sandy beaches and honestly who can blame them. Mexico has quickly become a must see destination during Christmas.
From the Mayan Ruins to the pristine beaches, there is truly something for everyone in your family to enjoy. So what exactly is there to do, you ask? Let me break down a few of my favorite options.
- Ancient ruins: There are so many caves, pyramids, and ruins to explore. In Tulum, you can dive into a cave via a zipline and snorkel in the cave. There are also a bunch of museums and cathedrals with break taking views.
- Diving: Mexico is home to the second largest reef system in the world. The Great Maya Barrier Reef allows you to get up close and personal with turtles, blue whales, lemon sharks, and so much more.
- Local Markets: Mexico is very rich in culture so the local markets are a must. Pick up any number of souvenirs to take back with you.
Now that we have talked about a few of my favorite activities, let’s talk about some cool Christmas traditions that happen.
- Pinatas: On Christmas Eve you hang the pinata up high and take turns hitting it with a stick or a bat. First one to break it open wins and all the candy falls to the floor for everyone to enjoy. To add a level of difficulty, have them try to hit it while being blind folded.
- Take a walk about the town. You will see tons of nativity scenes set up in immaculate detail.
- Local theatres and temples turn into stages to show the shepherds who go to worship baby Jesus.
Another huge benefit to traveling to Mexico is the transportation. They have bus services that can take you anywhere you want to go. Most trips will only cost you a few pesos. If public transportation is not for you, that’s ok. They also have rental car options at reasonable rates.
After a long day of exploring this great place, you will be ready to kick back and relax. Mexico has some of the world’s most luxurious resorts and villas. Let’s talk about a few of them.
- Nickelodeon Resort in Riviera Maya
- 280 ocean front suites
- 6 on-site restaurants
- 6-Acre Waterpark
- Character experiences
- Kids hangout club with dance parties, theatre experiences, and slime
- On-site activities including cooking and dance classes, yoga on the beach, and so much more
- Cribs, strollers, baby food and so much more are provided for you
- Transportation to and from the airport are also included with your stay. There is also an on-site shuttle service that can take you around the resort
- Hilton Cancun All-Inclusive
- This property just recently opened and is amazing
- Oceanfront, oceanview, and swim-up rooms available
- 714 rooms
- 12 restaurants
- Fitness Center
- Kids Club
- Non-Motorized Motor Sports
If you prefer villas, don’t worry, I have you covered. Here are two of my favorites:
- Rosewood Mayakoba in Riviera Maya
- 129 suites with open floor plans, oversized terraces, and contemporary design
- 8 on-site restaurants
- Plunge pools
- Butler services
- Rosewood Spa tucked away on it’s own private island among fresh water lagoons
- Fitness center
- Family friendly as well as adults only pool options
- Banyan Tree Mayakoba in Riviera Maya
- 122 private and tranquil villas
- 12 on-site restaurants
- Award winning spa with 16 lagoon or jungle view treatment rooms
- 14 indoor and outdoor meeting rooms
- PGA Golf Course
- On-site kayaking, tennis, ecological boat tours, snorkeling, and yoga
For all these reasons and more you should make Mexico your next luxury vacation destination for Christmas. The weather is amazing, the activities are unparalleled, the rich history is insightful, the amenities are luxurious, and the memories made will last a lifetime.